As technology is unprecedented, Current CIOs are facing multiple challenges besides tech evolution. In this article, I will be trying to talk about the top 5 challenges for CIOs and IT Leaders.
- Hiring the best IT Talent: That is true! You read it right, in spite of having hundreds and thousands of candidates applying for a job it is difficult to find the right mix of skills ranging from technical to interpersonal skills. Almega, a Swedish company forecasted that only for Sweden, 70000 skilled people will be needed by 2022 for the digital sector (The IT skills shortage, 2017-18). According to a report, there will be 3.5 million unfilled cybersecurity jobs by 2021, and only one out of four candidates applying for these jobs is qualified.
- Cyber Security: The challenge is to keep services and applications up and running all the time while building new business products. Cyber Security comes along with all sorts of activities you will engage in the IT world and hence it becomes a challenging corner for the IT leaders. According to a study at the University of Maryland, computer with internet access gets attacked every 39 seconds on an average that affects one in three users in America each year.
- Balancing Business and IT: One way or another, the majority of companies are running their business through IT and relying on IT to deliver products and services to their customers. CIO’s got a huge task to keep the balance of meeting business needs while maintaining the IT performance as per expectations.
- Walk with the pace of AI and Cloud transforming business models: While AI/Machine learning and Cloud are changing the landscape and offering transformations that are changing the whole landscape of business. Adopting new technologies for automation and being competitive in the market is the need of the hour and at the same time challenging too.
- Lagging Digitalization and Misconceptions: Gartner reported that Lagging Digitalization and misconceptions tops among the risks highlighted by the executives across the world. Strategies are failing to digitized the companies because it is lacking firm strategy execution and lacking digital organizational capabilities. Tieing up strategy with an action plan is a challenging task for CIOs that’s for sure.
If you liked the article do share it with your connections and comment about challenges you are facing as an IT Leader?