If the answer is ‘yes’ then observe Mr. X. What makes him most wanted? Well, I did some close observation and find that along with outstanding technical IT skills one has to be a perfect survivor of tight deadlines and stressed environment at the workplace. Though I prefer not to use the word ‘stress’, everyone goes through it one day or another! The winner is one who makes the situation favorable for themselves and for the team! Let’s see what makes Mr. X most wanted!
- Time Management: Mr. X Prioritize his to-do list every day. The first thing he does every day in the office is prioritizing important tasks and differentiate between important and urgent. Not everything that is urgent is important. So choose well and make the best use of your time.
- Mr. X is no more expert of everything and does not practice multitasking: Mr. X realized very early in his career that jack of all trades and master of none will take him nowhere. Mr. X believes that he should be an expert of at least one technical skill that is in demand. Mr. X does not believe in doing all his work at once. He takes up important tasks first before touching the next task.
- Mr. X does not hesitate to say No: I am sure that you know someone who says ‘Yes’ to everything that comes to his table. Those are not fooling only themselves but also wasting time and energy of the client, their own company and of course their very own team. Say ‘No’ when needed, it keeps you focused on tasks in hand and keeps the team motivated and focused.
- Be creative: Mr. X applies his creativity even in smallest tasks he undertakes making his work stand out from the crowd. Creativity is an inbuilt character of every individual but to kick start your creativity, explore courses on LinkedIn Learning.
- Communicate with reasoning: Mr. X is able to convey his views in limited words with the logic behind his claims that makes others buy his proposals easily. So make sure you do your homework before you present your ideas to the client or your colleagues.
Cheers! Dhirendra Mishra
About the Author: Dhirendra Mishra is a master’s graduate from BITS, Pilani and student at Stockholm University. He has 8+ years of experience in Information and Technology with a range of expertise in IT Strategy Design, IT Service Management, Scrum Framework, Service Governance, Project and Delivery Management. He also finds interest in Poetry and writing with an inclination towards photography.